Sunday, September 4, 2011

2011-2012 Curriculum Plans

Another school year approaches, and that means it's time to finalize and purchase all remaining curriculum.  Fortunately, it is something I enjoy.  I love researching all of our options, selecting what I think will work best for us, cracking open the new books, and planning out lessons as I envision what our year will look like.      Of course the year never turns out quite as I imagine it will, but that's a topic for another time.  Now that we're entering our fourth (if you count pre-K) year of homeschooling, one would think that we should have the hang of it by now.  I am hoping my plans will meet up a bit closer to reality.  Here's hoping all of these picks are winners here.

Bible:

-Who is God? by Apologia educational ministries
-The Squire and the Scroll along with Life Lessons from The Squire and the Scroll
-Plants Grown Up (selected projects)

English Studies:

-Phonics Road 1 (Finish 2nd half) along with Memoria Press 2nd grade spelling and phonics
-First Language Lessons 2
-Classical Writing primers
-New American Cursive
-Selected 2nd Grade Lit. guides from Memoria Press: The Little House in the Big Woods, Tales of Beatrix   Potter, and Mr. Popper's Penguins
-Kai will also read books from our homemade reading list

Math:

-Singapore 2A/2B

We are continuing with level 2 this year, and we are planning on using all of the extras: Extra Practice 2, Challenging Word Problems 2, and Intensive Practice 2A/2B.

-Teaching Textbooks 3

We actually started this at the end of last year to make sure that Kai had some math to do while I was working with the younger ones. He really enjoys it so far and will start off this year around lesson 30.

History:

-Story of the World Vol. 2

After spending 2 years on Volume 1, I am excited to be picking up the pace a bit. I can't wait for Kai to learn all about castles, knights, explorers, and Shakespeare! We'll do a lot of supplemental reading with this as well.

Geography:

Evan-Moor Daily Geography grade 2

We did grade 1 last year and really enjoyed this gentle yet thorough approach to Geography. I also hope that we will have time to try our hand at continent blobbing and drawing of the great circles as laid out in the The Core.

Science:

Earth Science and Astronomy following the Well Trained Mind cycle for 2nd grade.

I am anticipating that our studies will be a little heavy on the astronomy side since we will be using Apologia Astronomy from their Young Explorer's series. I do plan on using several Science in a Nutshell kits focusing on earth science though, and I did also get the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Our World.

Latin:

Prima Latina

I am excited to start this with Kai. We went through most of Song School Latin last year, so some of this will be review for him. Overall, it seems a bit more rigorous, and I really like that it incorporates learning latin prayers.

Kai will be doing football football for fall PE, as well as a supplemental art and science class.

Kael and Koen will be doing some preschool activities as well.

School starts August 22nd.  Let the countdown begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment